Policy Effective Date: March 2011
Last Revised: Feb 2, 2017
What we do:
Umongous is in the market research and opinion research business. Umongous operates PV for the purpose of gaining anonymous opinions, such as your opinions, in order to help its Clients, gain a better understanding of their business, marketing, product development and strategic opportunities. In order to function as a market research business, we collect your demographic traits (see “What Information We Collect” below). We also collect your anonymous self-declared traits (PV calls these “Traits Surveys”) for the purposes of 1) directing specific surveys to you and 2) sharing aggregated, anonymous traits associated with answers chosen by the pool of people who answered a survey. Your answers to the questions in the Trait Surveys are used to determine your various social, psychological, political, psychographic and preference attributes as a member of the PV panel (See below under "Trait Information").
Because the survey answers you provide contain a large amount of demographic and other information about you, there is always a possibility that Umongous Clients who receive this information from us, and/or other third parties with whom Umongous Clients share this information, would be able to deduce your identity based on the information provided, for example if you have provided your zip code and live in small or sparsely populated area or if the combination of your demographics and survey answers is very unique.
If you decide that you do not wish to answer a Umongous Client survey or an individual question in a Umongous Client survey, you can opt out of proceeding in answering that survey simply by ending your participation in the survey. It will be cleared from your account, typically in a few hours or days. You will not receive payment for an incomplete Umongous Client survey. See "Your access and choices regarding your personal Information" Section below.
What Information We Collect:
Information We Collect Directly from You:
- Initial Registration Information: If you wish to become a User of PV, you must begin the registration process by submitting your email address, and a chosen password and an optional promo code. If you do proceed by clicking the “Next” button, you will then be sent an email to complete the double opt-in process. You then can return to PV to continue the registration process. If you choose to register by using a third-party account (such as your Google or Facebook account), please see “Information we receive from third parties” below.
- Standard Demographic Information: To continue the registration you will be asked to provide what we call "Standard Demographic Information": your gender, a User name, your birthdate, your country, state/region, county, zip/postal code, time zone, PayPal email address, level of education, relationship status, parental status, employment status, and chosen career. You have the option to also supply your household income and race/ethnicity.
- Telephone number and PayPal account information: You must activate your PV account with an automated code via your mobile phone or land line. When you register for an account on PV and sometimes when you cash out, you may be required to call us with your landline or cell phone or send us an SMS to provide PV with a secret validation code presented to you by PV. As a result of this process, we will learn your phone number and will include it in your PV account where you can change it in the future. We also request your PayPal account information so we can make payments which may be due to you.
- Traits Information: You will receive many short surveys which enable PV to learn more about you. PV calls these “Trait Surveys”. Traits Surveys may seek information about your health and medical conditions, racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade-union memberships, health, psychographic, psychological makeup and sex life, things you have purchased, own or plan to acquire etc. Your answers to Traits Survey questions are only supplied to Umongous Clients in aggregate form from the pool of respondents who answered the Client’s Survey. If you do not wish to answer any particular question(s) in a given Trait Survey, you can click the “Exit” button. You will not be remunerated for a Trait Survey which you do not complete
Umongous Client Survey Information:
As part of Umongous’ Market Research Business you may occasionally be
given an opportunity to participate in a survey created by a Umongous’
Client, or by Umongous itself.
We collect and store the responses that you submit to these surveys.
This information may include, if you consent to this, photos of you,
video recordings of you and sharing your screen activity.
When a Umongous Client created the survey, and not Umongous itself,
it is the Umongous Client who is responsible for the information and questions
included in the survey.
A Umongous Client survey may ask you to provide personally identifiable information
such as your real name, address, phone number, social security number or email address.
It is a violation of the Umongous Terms of Service for a Umongous Client
to ask you for personally identifiable information. We urge you not to
provide this information. If you see a survey containing such questions,
please notify us at support [at] paidviewpoint [dot] com.
If while taking a Client Survey if you decide that you do not wish to answer a question or otherwise complete a survey, you can click the “Exit” button to leave the survey. You will not receive remuneration for Client Surveys which you do not complete.
Other information you choose to share
We may collect your personal information or data if you voluntarily submit it to us.
When you upload an avatar: You may choose to upload an avatar for use on the Website, which may be your photo or other likeness of you.
When you communicate with us: We may learn your name when you send us an email and your name is revealed through your email address or signature, or if you have used your name in an email. We only use it to address the purpose of your email to us.
When we verify your PayPal account: When your PV earnings become vested, and before you are able to cash them out, we ask you to verify your PayPal account. During this process, we will retrieve your PayPal unique ID, your name and country and we store this data on our servers for fraud prevention purposes.
Information We Collect Indirectly About You:
When you use our Website as a visitor or as User with a registered account, we may collect the information described below about you indirectly and passively:
- Usage Information: We collect information about your use of the Website and the Services including which webpages you visit, what you click on, when you performed those actions etc. We also collect log information which includes: IP address, time a page was viewed, browser type, URL parameters, operating system, and information from cookies (as described below).
Information from other third parties:
When you Sign in with a Social Media Account: We may collect your personal information from third parties if you give such third parties permission to share your information with us. For example, if you elect to sign into your PV account using your Facebook account details, the authentication of your logon details is handled by Facebook and we collect information about your Facebook account that you agree to share with us at the time you give permission for your PV account to be linked to your Facebook account. We may store some of this information on our servers and use this information for quality assurance, to improve our service to you and for authentication purposes.
If you choose to log in to our Website using your social media account, your profile photo will be on your profile page on the Website (which is accessible when you log in to your account. Services like Facebook Connect give you the option to post information about your activities on our Website to your profile page to share with others within your network. We do not receive or store your social media log in credentials
PV Referral System:
When you invite a friend to join PV or use your unique referral code on the Web to invite other people to join PV you will be able to see the following information about the individual who accepted your invitation: their avatar, username, status and earnings. They will be able to see your user name. This information will appear in the "Friends Connection" section of a user's account.
Information from cookies and similar technologies:
We use web beacons (sometimes called single-pixel gifs) along with cookies, to compile aggregated statistics to analyze how the Website is used, and may be used in some of our emails to let us know which emails and links have been opened by recipients. This allows us to gauge the effectiveness of our customer communications and marketing campaigns.
We use Local Storage Objects (LSOs) such as HTML5 to be able to identify an individual with a specific live account in order to enforce our rules and prevent fraud. These cookies will only be used these purposes not for other purposes such as serving behavioral ads. Flash cookies are not the same as “browser cookies”. Flash cookies consist of an Adobe Flash Media Player local shared object (LSO) that is used for tracking purposes. For information on how to delete a Flash cookie, visit http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/526/52697ee8.html or search the Web for “How to delete flash cookie”.
For information about your choices regarding these technologies please see "Your Access and Choices regarding your Personal Information" below.
How we use your information:We may use your information to:
- Provide you the services: We use the information in your answers to the Trait Surveys to determine whether you are carefully reading questions and providing deliberate, consistent and candid answers. This helps us decide whether or not to include you in our Client's surveys. We also include questions to identify certain psychographic characteristics such as interests, activities, personal opinions and possessions. This helps us to better direct surveys by Umongous Clients to you. For example, you might be asked if you own a pickup truck because a Umongous Client either does or does not wish to survey people who own pickup trucks.
Send you communications related to the Services:
Invitations to take a Survey: To facilitate your participation in the survey we may send you an email from time to time to invite you to take a survey. You may opt-out from receiving such emails by clicking on the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of each email or selecting the opt-out link on the “Settings” page. This will not stop any service communications from us.
Service-related Announcements: From time-to-time we may send you service-related transactional emails. You may not opt-out from receiving these emails without closing your PV account.
Invitations to additional market research studies: From time-to-time you may be asked a question in a survey whether you have interest in participating in additional market research, such as a phone interview, a product test or user experience study. If you elect to be considered for such study, we may contact you, using the contact information we store on our servers so that you can participate. There will be an additional opportunity to opt out of the study at that point.
- Marketing and Advertising: We may contact you to offer you additional services or promotions directly related to PV or one of Umongous’ related websites. You may opt out of receiving our promotional communications at any time by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in them. This will not stop any service communications from us.
- Provide you support: This includes: providing you with technical support and administering your account.
- Maintain, Monitor and improve our Services: We use usage and other information to help maintain our Website and to analyze how you use the Website and Services, including how you interact with different parts of the Website, whether you open emails or click on links in them. This enables us to assess the effectiveness of our marketing efforts, to determine products that are suitable for you and to improve our Website and Services and your experience with them, for example through the optimization of the Website's layout and otherwise enhancing your navigation through the Website.
- Maintain the safety and security of our services: We may use your information for internal purposes designed to keep our Services secure and operational, such as for troubleshooting and testing purposes. For example: certain cookies we use User credential automatically, to remember Users’ settings and protect unauthorized access.
With whom we share your information:
- Email address and avatar: We will not rent, sell or share your email address with anyone without your express permission or under the circumstances set forth in the "Law enforcement" section below. We will not share your avatar with Umongous Clients or associate it with any survey answers. We will share your username and avatar but not your email address with the User who referred you to PV (if any).
Your Survey responses:
We share your survey responses with our Clients whose surveys you answered. The Clients may share these responses with third parties at their discretion. The information provided to the Clients does not include your name, avatar, email address, phone number or IP address but does include your Standard Demographic Information.
Because the surveys contain a large amount of demographic and other information about you, and may include photos or videos or you, there is always a possibility that Umongous Clients and/or other third parties with whom Umongous Clients share this information would be able to deduce your identity based on the information provided, for example if you have provided your zip code and live in small or sparsely populated area.
You always have the choice to skip Client surveys and any of their questions which you do not wish to answer. You will not receive remuneration for Client surveys which you do not complete. (see "Traits Information" and "Umongous Client Survey Information" sections above.)
We urge you not to answer any question in a survey that requests personally identifiable information such as your real name, address, phone number, social security number or email address. If you see a survey containing such questions, please notify us at support [at] paidviewpoint [dot] com.
- Advertising: We may allow our authorized service providers, advertising companies, and ad networks, to use tracking technologies like cookies and web beacons to collect information about users who use the Services. The tracking technologies allow the third parties to deliver targeted advertisements of our products and services on other websites or on social media networks and gauge their effectiveness. To learn about your choices regarding this sharing of your information please see "Your access and choices regarding your personal Information" Section below.
Employees and Service Providers:
Our employees may access your complete responses together with any personally identifiable information we collected about you (see above) to the extent necessary to perform their jobs and to service your account.
Merger, Transactions: Bankruptcy: In the event that Umongous or its affiliates undergoes a corporate restructuring, enters into a merger, acquisition, sale or other transaction pursuant to which, Umongous or any portion of its assets or stock is acquired by or assigned to a third party, or if we are involved in a bankruptcy, dissolution, reorganization, liquidation, similar transaction or proceedings, your personal information, including the questions and answers of your surveys and Research participation may be among the items sold or otherwise transferred and may be shared with third parties, including buyers, service providers or law enforcement officials.
Per your express consent:
We may share your information for other reasons or purposes if you provide your permission for us to do so.
See "Your access and choices regarding your personal Information" Section below
Links to Other Web Sites
Our Website includes links to other Web sites whose privacy practices may differ from those of Umongous. If you submit personal information to any of those sites, your information is governed by their privacy statements. We encourage you to carefully read the privacy statement of any Web site you visit.
We will retain your information for as long as needed to provide you Services. We will retain personal information about you for as long as necessary in order to provide the Services. We will retain and use this personal information only as long as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements and then delete it.
Even once we delete the information, keep in mind that the deletion by our third-party providers may not be immediate and that the deleted information may persist in backup copies for up to 12 months or as required by legal and/or technical requirements that apply to such third parties. In addition, your survey answers and demographic traits, which have been provided to Umongous Clients as part of their survey results, will remain in our databases for as long as such Umongous Clients have active accounts or as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. This information may also be held by any third party with whom this information had previously been shared.
Umongous has implemented commercially reasonable security measures to protect the loss, misuse, and alteration of your personal information under our control. For example, the access to your PV User account and the transfer of all personal information collected by us is done over https, we limit access to the information only to individuals who need the information to perform their duties and we use reliable third party providers to back up personal information. However, regardless of the security measures we implement, transmission over the internet is not completely secure nor is any type of electronic storage and there is always a risk that your information may be access or used by authorized third parties.
Your access and choices regarding your personal information:
Refraining from Answering Certain Survey Questions:
- Trait Survey questions – you can exit a Trait Survey questions session by clicking the “Exit” button if you do not wish to answer any particular question or questions. By exiting you will be forfeiting remuneration for completing that trait survey.
- Umongous Client Survey– you can exit a Umongous Client Survey by clicking the “Exit” button if you do not wish to answer any particular question or questions. By exiting you will be forfeiting remuneration for completing that survey.
- Video (Webcam) Responses, Screen Shares and Photos - If you are invited to record a video response or share your screen as part of the response, or to submit photos, and you accept that invitation, you will have an opportunity to opt out and, if you record the video, you will have an opportunity to review the recording and not submit the video, screen shots or photos. If you do not submit the video, screen shots or photos you will forfeit the remuneration, promised for completing the survey and the associated response. If you accept an invitation to record a video, the video will not only include you, it will include your background. Be careful not to have any sensitive personal information or sensitive items within view of the recording. If you share an image of your device’s screen, be careful not to share anything on that image that you wish to keep private. If you share some other image or photo, also be careful not to share without considering what might be in the foreground or background which you wish to keep private.
Correcting or Deleting Customer Testimonials:
If you wish to update or delete a customer testimonial you had provided, you can contact us at support [at] paidviewpoint [dot] com.
Correcting, Updating or Deleting Personal Information:
You may access and update your Standard Demographic Information by logging into your PV account and clicking on the dashboard link on the top right hand corner of the page and choosing the "My demographics” link. You can change your email address, phone number, avatar, and/or PayPal account by logging into your PV account and clicking on the dashboard link on the top right hand corner of the page and choosing the "Settings” link. In order to prevent fraud, once you change your email address or telephone number your ability to withdraw any vested earnings in your account will be suspended for 180 days. You may access, amend, correct or delete your registration information by accessing your account on the Website. You may also exercise your right to amend, correct and delete any information about you by contacting us at support [at] paidviewpoint [dot] com. We will respond to you within a reasonable time and, where appropriate grant these rights to you. There rights are subject to some exceptions, including where the burden or expense of providing access would be disproportionate to the risks to your privacy, or where the rights of other individuals would be violated as a result.
If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information and survey answers, please use the “Close account” button on the bottom of “Settings” page or contact us at support [at] paidviewpoint [dot] com. When you close your account your information and survey answers will no longer be available to Umongous Clients for use in new surveys. Closing your PV account will forfeit any and all earnings that you may have in your account. When you register an account, you accept the PV rules. These rules include that the cash in your account is the property of PV and considered unvested. The cash in your account is considered vested and your property when it reaches $15. If you choose to delete your account prior to vesting, you forfeit the opportunity to continue to earn and achieve vesting status.
Opting out of communications :
If you wish to stop receiving:
- Invitations to Take a Survey: you may click on the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of each email or selecting the opt-out link in the email or on the “Settings” page. This will not stop any service communications from us.
- SMS messages to Take a Survey: if you opt to receive SMS notifications when surveys are available, you can turn off SMS notifications under SETTINGS in your account or reply STOP to any SMS notification.
- Marketing / Promotional Communications: you may click on the “unsubscribe” link in them. This will not stop any service communications from us.
Choices regarding the collection of your information
- Advertising: You can understand which third parties have currently enabled cookies for your browser or mobile device and how to opt-out of some of those cookies by accessing http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp ; http://www.aboutads.info/choices or, if you’re located in the European Union, at http://www.youronlinechoices.eu from your browser and from your mobile device. Even if you opt out of targeted advertising you will continue to see advertising of a generic nature.
- Analytics: You can control the information provided to Google and opt out of certain ads provided by Google by using of the of the methods set forth in http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/ or use the Google Analytics opt out browser add-on at http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en .
- Cookies and other technologies: Persistent cookies can be removed by following your web browser’s directions. A session cookie is temporary and disappears after you close your browser. You can reset your web browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some features of the Website may not function properly if the ability to accept cookies is disabled. Turning off the browser's cookies will prevent web beacons from tracking your specific activity. The web beacon may still record an anonymous visit from your IP address, but unique information will not be recorded. If you do not want to receive tracking pixels, you will need to disable HTML images in your email client, and that may affect your ability to view images in other emails that you receive. To find out how to see what cookies have been set and how to reject and delete the cookies, please visit: http://www.aboutcookies.org .
Protection of Children’s Privacy:
The site is intended for adults. We do not intentionally or knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13 and we request that individuals under the age of 13 not submit any personal information on the site. If we become aware that a child under the age of 13 has created an account on the Website, we will promptly close that account and delete any submitted information.
Umongous transfers, processes and stores information about you on servers located in Canada. Therefore, your information may be transferred to, stored, or processed in Canada, whose data protection, privacy and other laws may not provide the same level of protection as those in your country of residence. For example, government entities in Canada and other countries may have certain rights to access your personal information.
By using our Website or the Services you understand and consent to the collection, storage, processing, and transfer of your information to our facilities in Canada and to those third parties with whom we share it as described in this policy. You may revoke your consent at any time. Please note that if you revoke your consent to the transfer of the information to Canada, we may no longer be able to provide you our Services.
Browser Do Not Track
Our Website does not support Do Not Track at this time. Do Not Track (DNT) is a privacy preference you can set in your web browser to indicate that you do not want certain information about your webpage visits collected across websites when you have not interacted with that service on the page. For all the details, including how to turn on Do Not Track, visit www.donottrack.us
We reserve the right to modify this privacy statement at any time, so please review it frequently. If we make material changes to this policy, we will notify you here, by email, or by means of a notice on our Website.
How to Contact the Company Regarding Your Privacy Concerns:
Company can be reached at any time by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. It is our practice to respond to emails within 48 hours. If we do not respond within 48 hours, call us at 415-364-8601 and leave a message including your email address.
You can also write to us at:
Umongous, Inc. 3000 Atrium Way, Suite 260, Mount Laurel, New Jersey, 08054
If you have any concerns or complaints regarding the processing of your personal data, you also have the option to resolve any dispute we have not adequately addressed through JAMS our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider, at no cost to you. You may contact them through: https://www.jamsadr.com/file-an-eu-us-privacy-shield-or-safe-harbor-claim
Last Updated: Feb 2 2017